Parafricta® Bootees are made using a smart, strong, breathable, silk-like, low-friction, proprietary fabric that reduces the risk of friction and shear-related skin breakdown on the feet.
The foot is particularly vulnerable to pressure ulcers and other skin damage. This is because people frequently dig in their heels to push themselves up in bed, or rub their feet on the bed due to agitation or spasms. When subjected to friction and the associated internal shearing, the cells and tissues of the feet begin to break down, which first manifests itself as redness and inflammation (pre-stage 1 and category 1 pressure ulcers) and may progress to blistering and ulceration (category 2+ pressure ulcers).
Parafricta® Bootees provide a comfortable way to protect the feet and ankles (particularly the heels) from the risk of friction and shear-related pressure ulcers and other skin conditions.
The Clinical Challenge:
Parafricta® Bootees are a cost effective solution to improve patient outcome. The average cost of a category 2 pressure sore to the NHS is £1,500, and a pressure sore worsening from Cat 1 to cat 2 increases costs by 300%.
NHS Safety Thermometer (April 2014 to the end of March 2015), just under 25,000 patients were reported to have developed a pressure ulcer.
On average 2,000 pressure ulcers are newly acquired each month within the NHS in England.
National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel recommend practitioners ‘consider the use of silk-like fabrics rather than a cotton or cotton blend to reduce shear and friction’ (National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel 2014)
Features & Benefits:
- Parafricta® Bootee provides protection against pressure ulcers, which are caused by friction and associated shear.
- The unique proprietary fabric reduces the risk of friction and shear-related skin breakdown by protecting the feet and ankles (Particularly the heels)
- Ventilation area for maximum patient comfort.
- Non-Slip sole helps in the prevention of slips, trips & falls.
- Easy application slipping onto the patient.
- It is washable and reusable (60°C, synthetic cycle).
- Available in 5 sizes